30 Internet Facts and Figures that You May Like to Know
Do you know that around 40% of the world population has an internet connection today? Just for perspective, back in 1995, internet access was limited to less than 1% of the world’s population. The first billion was reached in 2005. The second billion in 2010. The third billion in 2014. The chart and table below show the number of global internet users per year since 2000:
Since you’re now using the internet to read this article, here are a few more facts and figures that will illustrate how much the internet and global connectivity in general has increased across the globe in just over two decades. When you look at internet penetration by country, here are a few surprising facts as far as ranking goes, and no, the US is not ranked #1.
#1 Iceland: 96.5%
#18 USA: 84.2%
#180th Eritrea: 0.9% – and in case you wonder where Eritrea is, Click Here >
1. Asia, as a continent, has the most internet users. It accounts for 48.4% of global internet users.
2. China, as a country, has the most internet users; with an estimated 640 million internet users, the number of internet users in China is twice the number of the entire U.S population.
3. China has the highest percentage of internet users (21.97%), followed by the U.S. (9.58%) and India (8.33%).
4. In contrast, while a 86.75% of the U.S. population uses the internet, the U.S. is only ranked #18 in terms of internet penetration.
5. Digital interactions influenced retail sales to the tune of $2.2 trillion in 2015.
6. By 2017, there will be more internet traffic than all prior internet years combined.
7. Wi-Fi and mobile-connected devices will generate 68% of all internet traffic by 2017.
8. In 2015, 64% of all in-store sales, or sales to the tune of $2.2 trillion, were influenced by the internet.
9. Facebook now has 1.55 billion active users.
10. 2.9 billion Google searches are made every day.
11. 2.7 million blog posts are published every day.
12. There are currently 123.78 million registered .com domain names, making the .com Top Level Domain (TLD) the top domain name extension. No wonder it is so hard these days to find a decent available domain for your business.
13. The most expensive domain name ever sold is Insurance.com, for $35.6 million in 2010.
14. There are currently 966 million websites in the world today. Actually,by the time you read this, chances are that number has increased quite a bit.
15. According to web records, the world’s first website was published on August 6, 1991 by British physicists Tim Berners-Lee
16. The age of the robots. Only 44% of web traffic is from humans; a massive 56% of web traffic is from bots, impersonators, hacking tools, scrapers and spammers. Keep those Spam filters activated!
17. Google is the #1 most popular website in the world, followed by Facebook and YouTube. No surprises there.
18. The average e-commerce site takes 7.12 seconds to load in Internet Explorer 9, an average of 7.15 seconds to load in Firefox 7 and an average of 7.5 seconds to load in Google Chrome. Speed always counts and Google uses site speed as a ranking factor.
19. The most Content Management System (CMS) platform is WordPress supporting around 25.4% of all websites in the world and responsible for over 76.5 million Blogs.
20. Now, some bad news. An estimated 37,000 websites are hacked every day. Sometimes the cheapest hosting solution is not the best option for your business.
21. As far as mobile goes, there are more mobile internet users than desktop internet users; 52.7% of global internet users access the internet via mobile, and 75.1% of U.S. internet users access the internet via mobile.
22. Mobile media time in the U.S. has exceeded desktop, with mobile media time estimated to be 51% while desktop media time is estimated to be 42%.
23. While there are more mobile users than desktop users, mobile advertising spend is still slightly lower than desktop advertising spend; mobile advertising spend currently represents 49% of digital advertising spend, compared to desktop at 51%.
24. Mobile advertising spend is projected to account for 60.4% of all digital advertising spend by 2016 and 72.2% of all digital advertising spend by 2019.
25. In 2015, mobile influenced retail sales to the tune of over $1 trillion.
26. Search engines are the starting point for mobile research, with an estimated 48% of mobile internet users starting their search on search engines.
27. Consequently, the #1 search engine, Google started to significantly use mobile compatibility as a factor when ranking websites.
28. B2C mobile commerce sales in the U.S. is valued at an estimated $83.93 billion.
29. 4 out of 5 consumers use a Smartphone to shop. 70% of mobile searches result in an online action within an hour of the search being conducted.
30. 50% of mobile users will abandon of web page if it takes more than 10 seconds to load, and 60% won’t return to the site.
I hope you find these facts interesting. They just prove that at 25 years old, the World Wide Web is just a young puppy with a lot of room to grow. Exciting times ahead of us! But for now, and until next time, this is Manuel Gil del Real (MGR).