I have to admit it, this week’s article is a bit selfish. I wrote it for myself, or more accurately, I “curated” it for myself with information gathered from various automobile publications. I don’t know exactly how to describe a “sexy car” but I know it when I see it. And this my friends, is one sexy car! I hope you enjoy at least reading about it. Let’s take a break from marketing for a few minutes. I can promise you, the world won’t come to an end…
AN ICONIC LINEAGE
DB11 is the Aston Martin you’ve been waiting for. Spectacular standard-bearer for an all-new generation of cars, DB11 is the most powerful and most efficient ‘DB’ production model in Aston Martin’s history.
At its heart a brand new twin turbocharged V12 engine delivers phenomenal performance combined with vastly reduced fuel consumption and emissions. Pioneering aerodynamics cheat the wind, generate exceptional stability and preserve our world-renowned design purity.
Underpinned by a new bonded aluminum body structure that combines lightness, strength and increased interior space, DB11 sets a formidable new standard for sporting Grand Tourers and takes the legendary ‘DB’ lineage to unprecedented heights
A DESIGN EVOLUTION
To honor the ‘DB’ legacy we distilled Aston Martin design down to its very essence and used it to create something evolved, bold and fresh. Something called DB11. Instantly recognizable, its design looks inherently right, yet utterly different. Its form develops organically from nose to tail; muscle and sinew building volume and shaping surface details, with classical proportions providing the perfect bone structure beneath.
Familiar elements have evolved. The iconic radiator grille has been reinterpreted, its lines and features amplified and celebrated. All-new LED head and tail-lights create expressive visual signatures. Triumphant new elements, such as the dramatic roof strake, underline DB11’s confidence and originality, while the new side strakes, key to DB11’s pioneering aerodynamics, bring harmony of form and function. The pure and honest product of authentic, justified lines, DB11 is an immaculate work of automotive art.
Two of the most distinct features of DB11 are the striking new grille and clamshell bonnet.
Truly an iconic signature, the front grille has been developed into a more dominant feature. Exerting greater influence on the overall design, it is the source from which the body’s form and surface lines emanate, and a powerful symbol of the extent to which DB11 has moved the game on.
The clamshell bonnet is a continuation of this fearless design philosophy, succeeding to reconcile the conflicting demands of styling and stringent pedestrian safety legislation.
Its wraparound form minimizes unsightly shut-lines for a pure, sculptural quality not seen on other cars. Its size means it is also exceptionally effective at dissipating energy, negating the need for space-consuming pedestrian safety systems that would compromise DB11’s crisply tailored lines. The clamshell provides delightful theatre, hinging forwards to reveal a spectacular panoramic view of the magnificent V12 engine beneath.
ENGINEERED TO EXHILARATE
Stronger, safer, more dynamic and space-efficient. These are the ambitious targets we set when creating DB11’s body structure. Increasing the wheelbase by 65 mm has enabled the positioning of the V12 engine further back for near-perfect weight distribution. The door apertures are larger, front seat occupants enjoy 10 mm of extra headroom, while rearwards, a 54 mm increase in headroom and 87 mm more legroom mean DB11 is a true 2+2.
With a luggage compartment that can swallow two golf bags and ISOFIX points enabling the fitment of two child seats, this exhilarating Grand Tourer is real- world prepared.
DB11’s new twin-turbocharged 5.2-litre V12 engine, boasting 600 bhp and 700 Nm of torque, makes this the most powerful DB production model in Aston Martin’s history. It’s also the most dynamic, reaching 200 mph, with 62 mph dispatched in 3.9 seconds. What’s less expected is that DB11 should also be the cleanest and most fuel efficient DB ever produced, yet such are the tremendous advances made by this landmark car.
Effortlessly potent, DB11’s beating heart has huge reserves of power, delivered as the revs climb, with a rich, potent howl. Intelligent bank activation means DB11’s appetite for the open road is not matched by thirst. By alternating between banks of cylinders during low demand periods, less fuel is consumed. Full performance is immediately restored on driver demand.
PERFORMANCE DRIVING DYNAMICS
DB11 exploits its inner strength and immense V12 performance with completely re-worked chassis, suspension, steering and electronics. Revised suspension with adaptive damping and multiple driver-selectable dynamics enrich DB11’s adaptability.
Select GT mode for exemplary ride quality, or switch to Sport for added firmness and agility assisted by the new electric power steering and Torque Vectoring limited-slip differential. Selecting Sport Plus entirely turns-up the intensity; suspension, steering, eight-speed automatic transmission and Torque Vectoring system work in unison to truly awaken the sports car within.
TECHNOLOGY AND CRAFTSMANSHIP
An immersive private space awaits inside the world’s finest sporting Grand Tourer. DB11’s sumptuous natural materials, the highest levels of craftsmanship and state of-the-art climate control and infotainment technology provide the ultimate in comfort and convenience.
A full-color 12″ TFT LCD display for the all-new instrument cluster presents primary vehicle information with absolute clarity, while a second, centrally-mounted 8″ TFT screen is dedicated to infotainment. Controlled via an intuitive rotary control, with an optional touchpad offering character recognition, multi-touch and gesture support, the new satellite navigation and audio system (Aston Martin Premium Audio or Bang & Olufsen BeoSound system upgrades available) have never been easier to operate.
Inside DB11 is a world that can be perfectly in-tune with your unique style, thanks to an inspiring palette of colors and a vast array of detailing options. From carefully coordinated tones to sharp contrasts in hue and texture, your choices are virtually limitless. Nexus quilting and Celestial perforation add layers of beauty, while ornate leatherwork, such as intricate brogue detailing, create areas of visual and tactile delight.
HIDDEN SECRETS, INSPIRED AERODYNAMICS
Not content with mastering airflow over DB11’s bodywork, we pioneered innovative ways of flowing air through its bodywork. The inspired results – so innovative that they have patents pending – are two powerful, yet beautifully simple solutions. We call them Curlicue and the Aston Martin Aero blade™.
Derived directly from our race cars, Curlicue is a gill-like vent incorporated into each front wheel arch lining, reducing unwanted front-end aerodynamic lift. Neatly concealed beneath the clamshell bonnet, its design vents high-pressure air from the top of the front wheel arches though recessed apertures behind the iconic Aston Martin side strakes. Further high pressure air is extracted from the back of each wheel arch through discreet stirrup vents positioned aft of the front wheels.
The Aston Martin Aero blade™ harnesses airflow along DB11’s flanks to enhance stability at the rear. Intakes positioned in the base of the C-pillars draw airflow within the bodywork before venting it from slots in the rear boot lid. Acting like a conventional spoiler, this jet of disrupted air reduces aerodynamic lift, cleverly obviating the need for an upswept ‘flip’ in the tail. When more stability is needed, a small active spoiler automatically deploys from the boot lid to increase the effectiveness of the Aston Martin Aero blade™. When no longer required it retracts back into the boot lid to preserve DB11’s uncluttered lines.
- Two-door body style 2+2 seating
- Extruded bonded aluminum body structure including Hot Form Quenched (HFQ) aluminum
- Cast-magnesium door structures
- LED headlamps with integrated daytime running, side lights and cornering lights
- LED light blade tail-lamps
- Deployable spoiler with Aston Martin Aero blade™ system
- One-piece clamshell with cinching latches
- Curlicue aero feature in front wing Engine:
- All-alloy quad overhead cam, 48 valve, 5.2l bi-turbo, V12 with stop/start cylinder de-activation
- Water-to-Air Charge Cooling
- Front mid-mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
- Fully catalyzed stainless steel exhaust system with cross pipes
- Compression ratio 9.3:1
- Dual Variable Camshaft Timing
- Fully CNC machined combustion chambers
- Electrically controlled exhaust
- Maximum power: 447kW (600 bhp / 608 PS) at 6500 rpm
- Maximum torque: 700 Nm (516 lb ft) from 1500 rpm
- Acceleration: 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 3.9 seconds
- Maximum Speed: 200 mph (322 km/h) European Fuel Economy Figures: This vehicle complies with energy efficiency class G.
Transmission & Suspension:
- Rear mid-mounted eight-speed automatic gearbox with electronic shift-by-wire control system
- Alloy torque tube with carbon fiber propeller shaft
- Limited-slip differential
- Final drive ratio 2.703:1 Steering:
- Electric power assisted steering rack with 13:1 steering ratio
- Speed-dependent rack and pinion power-assisted steering, 2.4 turns lock-to-lock
- Electric column tilt and reach adjustment Suspension:
- Front Independent double wishbone, coil springs, anti-roll bar and adaptive dampers
- Rear Multi-link, coil springs, anti-roll bar and adaptive dampers
- Adaptive Damping System (ADS) with Skyhook technology modes GT, Sport & Sport +
Wheels and Tires:
- 20″ 10-spoke Silver Diamond Turned wheels
- Front 9J x 20″ Bridgestone S007 255/40 ZR20
- Rear 11.0J x 20″ Bridgestone S007 295/35 ZR20 Brakes:
- Front Ventilated two-piece steel brake discs Ø400 X 36mm with six-piston calipers
- Rear Ventilated co-cast piece steel brake discs Ø360 x 32mm with four-piston calipers
- Electric park brake
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)
- Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Traction Control (TC)
- Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
- Positive Torque Control (PTC)
- Dynamic Torque Vectoring (DTV)
- Launch Control
- Length: 4739 mm (including number plate plinth)
- Width: 1940 mm (excluding door mirrors) 2060 mm (including door mirrors)
- Height: 1279 mm
- Wheelbase: 2805 mm
- Fuel tank capacity: 78 liters (17.2 Imp. Gal. /20.5 US Gal) Weight: 1770 kg
- Dry Weight
- Weight Distribution: 51%/49% (front/rear)
Price: Starting at $214,820
But, if the above price is too much (and it is…) you can rest assured that in 2-3 years, you will be able to find this car for much, much less.
Thank you for reading. Until next week, this is Manuel Gil del Real (MGR)