Facebook & Instagram Statistics That Every Marketer Should Know
The title of this article says it all. If you’re in charge of marketing for ANY type of company or industry, ignore these numbers at your own risk.
The following figures prove just how powerful a platform Instagram is for brands and businesses.
- The total number of global Instagram users increased by a third over the past year.
- There are more than 800 million monthly active users of Instagram.
- Instagram age demographics skew younger, with roughly 30% falling between the ages 18 and 24, and another 30% falling between 25 and 34.
- The most popular Instagram hashtags are, in order, #love, #instagood, #fashion, #photooftheday, and #beautiful.
- The most popular Instagram emojis are laugh-crying emoji, heart emoji, and hearts-for-eyes emoji.
- Roughly 60% of Instagram users access the platform daily.
- Only 20% of Instagram users are in the United States.
- 38% of women and 26% of men use Instagram in the U.S.
- Instagram is the second-most important platform for teenagers (behind Snapchat).
- Instagram users are also highly likely to use Facebook (95%) and Pinterest (54%).
- Users under the age of 25 spend 32 minutes a day on the platform, while those over 25 spend 24 minutes a day on it.
- Instagram users dole out more than 4.2 billion likes every day.
- 80% of Instagram users follow at least one business on Instagram.
- More than 300 million accounts use Instagram Stories every day.
- Around 50% of businesses make regular use of Instagram Stories.
- The number of daily videos produced daily on Instagram has quadrupling over the past five years.
- The top Instagram brands post, on average, 4.9 times per week.
- About 60% of top brands use the same filter for every post, creating a consistent brand “feel” on the platform.
- 60% of Instagram users claim they’ve discovered at least one new producton the platform.
- Instagram has a follower interaction rate of 2.2%, higher than any other social network.
- Instagram posts with hashtags tend to get 12.6% more engagement than those without.
Here are the Facebook statistics you need to know about its operations, its users, and its near future.
- The total number of Facebook users has grown 15% year-over-year, with more than 2.17 billion users at the beginning of 2018.
- On Facebook, the number of users aged 65 and up has increased by 20% over the course of the past year.
- Though the number of teenagers using Facebook is growing, it’s growing at a slower rate than other demographics, at just 5%.
- Organic reach and engagement has dropped 10% over the past year.
- Facebook-owned apps WhatsApp and Messenger both grew more than twice as fast as their parent company, with users up 30% year-over-year.
- Facebook is the second-most popular site in the world, behind only Google, and boasts an average time per visit of 13:41.
- “Facebook” is also the most popular search query in the world.
- 88% of Facebook users are on a mobile device.
- 56% of Facebook users are male, 44% are female.
- The majority age ranges for Facebook users are 18 to 24 and 25 to 34, each representing 29% of total users.
- The average monthly change in Facebook page likes is 0.2%.
- The average reach of a post is just 10.7% of your total page likes.
- The average Facebook engagement rate for all types of page posts is just 4.20%.
- The average Facebook engagement rate for video posts is 5.23%, for photos it’s 4.4%, and for page links it’s 3.9%.
- 76.2% of Facebook users are using an Android device, while 15.5% are using an iOS device.
- Roughly 74% of Facebook users access the platform daily.
- Adults in the U.S. spend, on average, just over 25 minutes on Facebook every day.
- 77% of adults with a college education use Facebook, compared to 56% of individuals with a high school diploma or less.
- 34% of American teenagers think Facebook is “for old people.”
- About 79% of teenage users are Facebook friends with their parents.
- 62% of all Facebook users have used the platform to discover a live event. Among millennials, that number jumps to 72%.
- 52% of people who discover a new product on Facebook say they are interested in buying it. Among 18- to 34-year-olds, that number increases to 78%.
- Around 46% of Facebook users in six countries have found fashion inspiration on the platform within the past three months.
- Nearly half of U.S. adults (45%) get their news from Facebook.
- Facebook users alone watch more than 100 million hours of video each day.
- Business decision makers are 40% more likely to have more than 200 friends on Facebook.
- There are more than 70 million businesses with Facebook pages, with more than 20 million people using Messenger to communicate with their customers.
- 95.8% of social media marketers believe Facebook offers the highest ROI of any platform.
Thank you for reading. Until next time, this is Manuel Gil del Real (MGR)
Sources: Hootsuite and others per marked hyperlinks.
Photo by Matthew Fassnacht on Unsplash